In an earlier post, I talked about taking time off and reevaluating my business and the direction I wanted it to go. It took some time but I knew exactly where I wanted to go and this time I had a plan on how to get there.
I had already been shooting for a few years so I was not at the "build a portfolio" stage but had to get out of the rut/hiatus I was in. I think planning and should searching urged me to create this list. We have all been in a rut so most of this can be used in any stage of your business.
- Be creative! Sounds easy enough but there is more to it. Think out a session before shooting it. Just get your creative juices going and create! You can draw it out(stick people are cool), write down your ideas or make a flat lay(like a mood board). JUST GO...NOW...CREATE.
- Shoot every day. Even if it is not a session. Just shoot. It could be the squirrel outside, your kids spilling Cheerios everywhere, your dog napping. The subject is not the point the practice is.
- Try a new lens. Rent it, borrow, beg for it, steal it(okay don't steal it). This will immediately get the creativity going. It just will, trust me.
- Find your tribe. Get in a group of like-minded individuals and learn from them. Do not do it in the silent/inactive kind of way but participate! Ask questions, that's what these types of groups are for.
- Refresh your website. People have to know you are still there and Google searches will help your traffic(but this could be a whole post on it's own)
Okay, that's enough to get the party started!